Sunday, October 12, 2014

'Gone Girl': What a Ride




  Yesterday, I joined my boyfriend and his parents to go see "Gone Girl."  He and I were debating between seeing that or "The Judge" two nights ago, but one of us ended up getting sick, so we didn't go.  After seeing this movie yesterday, I'm glad that I went.

"Gone Girl" stars Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike and is directed by David Fincher.  The plot of the movie is that Nick's (Affleck) wife disappears on their fifth wedding anniversary, leading to an investigation, which ends up framing him as a suspect for the disappearance/murder of his wife.  If you haven't seen the trailer, take a look:



 First off, let's talk about David Fincher.  He's been nominated and won several awards, including two golden globes.  His directing career includes many critically-acclaimed films, such as "Fight Club," "Zodiac," "The Social Network," and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."  Just based on that alone, I knew this film was going to be good.

Movie poster from Buzzfeed
  The movie begins as a normal day, with Nick taking out the trash.  It was nice to get a feel of their life before all of the plot twists started to occur.  Both Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike have excellent chemistry together.  The casting for these two characters seemed perfect.  Through the course of the movie, Amy (Pike) becomes an even more intricate character, showing that the writing for each of these characters is a strong point of the movie.

  Another proof that casting was delicately thought through was through the casting of Neil Patrick Harris and Tyler Perry.  Now, I've only ever been familiar with Tyler Perry through his character of Madea, so I was skeptical when I heard that he was going to be in this film.  But I have to say, he delivered an amazing performance and I have a new respect for him as an actor.  Neil Patrick Harris was also an amazing performer in this film, which I am already a fan of his, so I was excited to see that he was in this film.  He gives an excellent performance as Desi and adds an excellent dimension to this film.  Every one of the characters helps to the development of the plot and makes the movie come out stronger in the end.

  Each of the scenes in the movie is thoroughly thought out, with only one part of the movie having a plot hole, which I'll leave to you to figure out since I don't want to spoil it.  And even though it had a plot hole, I don't believe it was vital to the continuity of the film.  Each of the other aspects of the film helps to make up for this one slip-up.

  As far as the soundtrack goes, it really helped with the atmosphere of the movie.  Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are the two responsible for the wonderful music, which helped to tie this movie together and make it even more of a wonderful and captivating film.  Without this soundtrack, I feel as if the movie might have left the audience a bit less shocked by the story.

  I would definitely recommend seeing this movie as soon as possible.  It will leave you wanting more and thinking about it for hours after.  So if you get the chance, take a friend and enjoy this crazy ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment