Saturday, October 18, 2014

Rookie Mag Always Brings Interesting and Relate-able Material


  As I was drinking my first cup of coffee this morning, I was perusing around on Rookie Mag's website. I found two articles from their "dear diary" section that I found particularly interesting.  Reading these two articles helped me to put my life into perspective of how far I come and that everything will work out.


Illustration from Rookie Magazine.
  The first article I read was titled "Crazy Like Me."  I've had to deal with anxiety and depression for a good portion of my life, so reading another individual's perspective on her life with mental illness really helped me to see how far I've come and how everyone can, and will, get through these tough times.  The line "The past is the past, and it’s a hugely significant part of how I became the person I am, but I want people to see that person and not the path that got me here" really resonated with me.  That's what I want for myself, too, and maybe some of my readers want that, as well.

  The second article I read was "Don't Stay in School."  It draws a lot on the writer's experience in high school and how she reflects upon her life now that she's 20 and in college.  With the writer being in a very similar life stage as myself, I found myself better to relate to this article.  Like she writes about, I also have a very similar problem with becoming nostalgic about high school, but she poses a very good point--"when you leave high school, instead of continually reflecting on what it gave you or took away from you, you can also just…forget about it."  Now, some people did have an amazing time in high school, but I was not one of them.  But it's nice to have someone just reiterate that it's okay to forget about high school and move on.  It's a part of your life, but it doesn't have to be a determining factor in who you become.   You are the driver of your own life.  Take yourself where you want to go, free from what your past may have been.

  I hope you all enjoy these articles as much as I did and have a wonderful day today.  I know after my morning reading and new-found mindset that today is going to be a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment