Thursday, October 9, 2014

Somewhere I Never Thought I'd Be



 
It's quite funny how life works sometimes, isn't it?  I mean, when you're really little you have all of these unique ideas about how your life is going to turn out--what your career you'll have, where you'll be living, how many friends you're going to have, etc.  This idealistic thinking continues for a while, I think.  I still even have this type of thinking today.

  It's funny to me to think about how I always expected myself to attend the University of Texas, and by no means ever end up at Texas A&M.  Well, look where I am now, little-me.  I also remember clearly thinking that I was going to grow up to be an anesthesiologist and live in Brooklyn Heights in New York City, all while living "the life."  But now, that's not what I want.  Yeah, that would have been great if that's what I was actually in the process of doing right now, but I'm on a totally different track.

  I'm an English major, wanting to get involved in the publishing industry, who wants to eventually live in the PNW.  I live with my boyfriend and puppy, which I wouldn't think I would have at the age of 19.  I'm making new friends, enjoying being myself at this stage that I am at.  I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now.  This isn't what I had thought would happen during this time in my life, according to my younger self, but this is what is going on and I love it.

Mt. Hood, Image from National Geographic

  So, when planning for the future, or if things don't work out as planned, don't think you've failed yourself, because you haven't.  Life simply has a different plan for you, and I'm sure it will end up greater than what you had imagined.  I challenged you to go with the flow and enjoy all that there is around you.  You are where you are for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment